Saturday, July 5, 2008

Little Miss Motivated.

This is my first big post on my shiny new blog, so I'll take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Katie, and predictably, I work at a library. I don't have my library degree yet, but I'm chugging along down the track to success! Officially, I am a library peon- you know, the low lady on the totem pole. However, I don't let that stop me when it comes to making a difference in my community!

Right now, one of my big projects is trying to bring modern technology into my library to help the deaf and hearing impaired. The best way to do this is to introduce the video relay system service. It's a very personal project for me, and I am super motivated to see it pull through!

Some of my previous noteworthy projects have included the creation of an online meeting room database, complete with training manuals and a technology based "how to" course. This project was very successful, and we were able to transition from using reams of paper to relying on the more environmentally friendly method of recording reservations on the computer. The database was given the go ahead and eventually launched in several of our branch libraries. It served to introduce new concepts to some of the older staff, and saved money to boot. Can't beat that, or can you?

In addition to those things, I am working on several committees. I am on the ECC- the employee elected committee that works to resolve staff concerns and presents to the city manager. I am on the EOC- the emergency operations committee which serves as a community contact in the event of a natural disaster. The last committee (for now) is the training committee we are trying to find innovative ways to expand the professional development of our library staff members without breaking the bank. I find each of them challenging and rewarding.

So, that's me, little miss motivated.

~Katie

No comments: