Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer Reading

My library system has excellent summer reading programs for all ages. There's a huge program for all of the adults, and a separate smaller secret program for staff. This year, I wanted to read enough to win the ultimate staff prize... and I don't even know what it is. So, I've been reading as much as I can lately, and sadly it is nowhere near enough to keep up with the reading whizzes, but I've read some fantastic books, so I don't see that it matters. Below is a list of the books I've enjoyed this summer.

1. The Wedding Ceremony Planner by Judith Johnson-- as I am in the process of planning my own wedding, I found this book to be extremely helpful as a guide to choosing the words for the ceremony. The book has very strong Christian undertones, but it also gives enough variety that one could plan for any level or type of ceremony. My only complaint was that nearly all of the "ring preludes" refer to the wedding band as a circle... which is obvious, and therefore a bit silly. This is a great book, I bought my own copy and don't regret it a bit, but I was pleased to find that my library has one as well. It is perfect as a wedding reference tool.

2. Offbeat Bride by Ariel Meadow Stallings-- I bought this book after developing a near religious devotion to the author's blog. It is a great book that approaches weddings in a slightly different less doll house way. The book gave some great advice, with real life references. Some of the best advice I have received going into the wedding planning was to remember that while the day is about me and my honey I am greatly outnumbered. With that knowledge and some great ideas, I have been able to pursue my dream wedding.

3. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare-- I grabbed the book City of Bones off a display one night as we were closing the library. I was in the mood for something a little bit magical, and that's what I got. The first book is the story of a girl named Clary who is not what she seems, and slowly she struggles to realize who and what she is in the grand scheme of things. The books make the universe seem much larger than it is, and the story line is interesting if somewhat predictable. Even though it is not my favorite fantastical book I found myself immediately seeking out City of Ashes and I think I must read any future books on our heroine.

4. The Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray-- there is one reason I actually read the first of this series A Great and Terrible Beauty... it was this book trailer on YouTube. I really enjoyed it. In high school I was a sucker for every victorian era romance to hit the shelves. While this was a bit light on the romance, it was very much the kind of story I would have enjoyed as a school girl, in fact I found myself swept away by this book to another time. So much out of touch with my own time was I that I forgot to sleep in order to discover the mystery awaiting on the next page. I still haven't read The Sweet Far Thing, but I genuinely enjoyed a Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels. It's Gossip Girl set in the 1900s with a magical twist.

5. The Secret Hour book 1 of the Midnighters Series by Scott Westerfeld-- I have for a couple of years now been a huge fan of Scott Westerfeld's books for teens. I devoured the Uglies series and followed it with Peeps, and I even read the stand alone novel in the Uglies universe Extras. If he wrote it, I'd read it, no questions asked. So, it was with high expectations that I lifted the novel The Secret Hour and turned the pages. Now, this book did not have the depth or heft of his Ugly books, but it had a creativity all its own. While I would certainly read more of the books in the series I was not as with other books compelled to find more immediately. Indeed, the book while charming held little draw for me.

6. Blood Noir by Laurel K. Hamilton-- Laurel K. Hamilton was once to me so brilliant that I thought of her as J. K. Rowling for adults. I still read anything she writes, and I owe her many debts of gratitude for opening my mind to comic books by bringing Anita to the colored pages, for developing the kind of series that made me want to read great quantities all at once again... and I still enjoy her books, but they have defintely lost something of the quality... the mystery that made me turn pages is all but gone.

7. Marie Therese, Child of Terror by Susan Nagel-- It's so rare that I find myself drawn to a particular work of non fiction, but this book caught me. I knew nothing of the daughter of Marie Antoinette, and found as I read that I had discovered a hero. She was just a girl when her parents were beheaded and she was left in a tower alone her brother held apart until his death. She was a clever very brave young lady, and she grew into a strong woman. This was a great princess story.

8. The Arrival by Shaun Tan-- I was so pleased when this book finally fell into my hands. I had read much praise about it, but I was still completely inspired by the wordless illustrations. I felt like the immigrant wondering what words might mean, and feeling sorry for the distance between the father and his family. This book is a masterpiece.

9. The Mouse Guard by David Peterson-- this graphic novel caught my eye after appearing in a Sunday edition of Unshelved, but not until it crossed my desk at the library did I really have the ability to appreciate it fully. Cool story, beautiful illustrations.

No comments: