Monday, July 7, 2008

My New Tricks

Recently there have been changes in Libraryland. Luckilly I'm super-spry! I adapt so fast you don't even see it. It's one of my superhuman abilities!

In the past couple of weeks, we have begun to receive our books and instead of having them arrive pre-cataloged we are doing it ourselves. In some ways it hurt us at first. The extra work load and shorter staffing meant that we had a bit of a learning curve. However, I've completely embraced this as my own special project.

Each day we get these giant red bins full of books. I get to open the box it's like opening a treasure chest and discovering new jewels every day. It's very exciting. There's a ten step process involved in adding each and every book to the system. We assign ICPL's, and print out call numbers for items. It's mostly data entry, but it has been a blessing, because it helps me stay more in tune to the items brought into my branch, and I learned a few new computer tricks. Pretty nifty.

I've also been playing around with open source technology, but that is news for another day!

No comments: